Drawing Project 1

myLIFEspeaks

Final Piece










References

Master artist: Leonardo  Da Vinci
Contemporary artist: Denis Chernov

Rough Draft

Describe

 I first chose a couple of pictures, that I took, that I may have wanted to draw. I chose this picture of a building. Then, I sketched a couple of different compositions in my sketchbook. I chose the composition I wanted to do, and began my final copy. I made this piece by using graphite pencil. I used a variety of graphite levels. The first thing I did was color the whole page with a HB pencil. Then, I sketched out the whole building. I slowly added details and all the value.

Analyze

One principle of design, is unity. There is value through out the whole drawing. There is not just a plain white, or an area not touched with graphite. Another, is contrast in value. The light and darkness gives dimension to the art, making it look real. The whole drawing is of the building. It stretches from one end of the paper, to the other. This gives an even weight on the paper. The final artwork is at a different perspective than the actual photo I used for reference. The photo is at a right angle, while the artwork is at a a straight head-on perspective. The title of the piece, is the name of the organization my mission team from church teamed up with this summer. The building itself, is pure Haitian architecture. 

Interpretation

This piece means so much to me. This summer, in July, my church youth group went to Haiti. We teamed up with the organization myLIFEspeaks (https://www.mylifespeaks.com/). They develop a Christ-centered culture one LIFE at a time. They do this, by family empowerment, education excellence, and public health impact. While my church was there, we helped orchestrate a soccer camp. We incorporated the love of God, and a few bible lessons while doing it.  Another thing we did, was make history. While there, we took part in a Best Buddies International opening party. myLIFEspeaks is the first best buddies organization to partner with Best Buddies in Haiti. We got to share bible stories, and show the love of God to the children involved. What I want the viewer to understand, is Haiti is not just the poorest country in the world. It is way more than that. The people there are so nice,  and even thought they do not have very much they are so joyful and content. They treat outsiders as though they are there own kin. I want people to see the beauty in Haiti, and not just the negative pictures that try to define it.

Judgement

My intention of the artwork, is to make it look very accurate to the reference photo, and I feel I did. This piece is the best I have ever done. I really like the way I focused on the lights and darks. This gives the feeling that you could potentially be standing in the artwork. If I could go back and change something, is I would try to make the lines more sharp. This would give the artwork a more cleaned-up look. However, if I could wish anything onto this piece,  is the impact it has on a viewer. As mentioned before, I want people to no longer always have a negative thought and perspective when hearing the word "Haiti". Through this whole piece, I have learned the extent of shading with graphite and how it can transform a piece of paper.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Visual Narrative Project- Kolesa

Open Choice Project-Kolesa