Human Figure Project- Kolesa

Human Figure Project- Kolesa


Rough Drafting:















Reference Photos:

















Final Phase Photo:



This piece of artwork was done in graphite. The image is of a hula dancer. She is wearing a leaf skirt and a tube top. Along with, a lei, flower crown, and lets, and bracelets. Her  head and body is at a side profile. Her arms are across her face, and her whole body is shaded. She is in the center and it appears she is radiating light around her. 

The principle that organizes my piece the best is contrast. The hula girl is heavily shaded and her immediate background is very light. Another example of contrast is the background itself. The light space around the hula dancer pops from the rest of the shaded background. The composition arrangement is symmetrical. If you cut the piece in half, there is an even weight. The head of the girl is off-center, and the hands are on the opposite side, also off-center. 


The project was supposed to include a subject doing some sort if action, with emotion on their face. As well as, incorporating culture. I had recently gone to Hawaii. I went to a luau. Seeing all the performers, they memorized me. The way hula is a big part of the culture really inspired me. The way they move is very graceful, and I wanted to capture the tranquil aspect of the dance. 

The shading is definitely my biggest strength. The hula dancer is very well shaded. You can really tell where there is darker and lighter variations of graphite. That being said, I could work on creating more realistic people. Even though I was not trying to make it super realistic, I still could have evened out proportions.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Drawing Project 1

Visual Narrative Project- Kolesa

Open Choice Project-Kolesa